[lbo-talk] Robber Barons

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 19:18:30 PDT 2007

A big reason C. Montgomery Burns is one of my fave Simpsons characters is the conceit behind his character: The persona, mannerisms, anachronistic vocabulary, etc., of a stereotypical late 19th century capitalist robber baron transplanted, fast-forwarded, into a modern, high-tech (nuclear) corporate environment.

Smithers: "I'm having my play produced in New Mexico." Burns: "Whoah, hold on there, maestro. There's a *new* Mexico?"

&c.

And his best line in the movie, "For once a rich *white man* has control!" -- I was like the only one laughing at that in the movie theater. Not enough Burns in the movie.

-B.

Chris Doss wrote:

"*cough cough* '90s Russia *cough cough*"

Doug Henwood:

"Speaking of which, was there the same rude violence and extreme criminality among the capitalists of other countries? Or is this an American thing?"