[lbo-talk] Intrinsic value (Was Re: Harry Potter, Metritocracy, and Reward)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 06:26:15 PDT 2007

> IOW, while I agree with Joanna that doing something
> for the joy of doing
> it, in and of itself (I've forgotten Weber's German
> word for that -- andie,
> you remember?),

Wertrational, value rational, which is sort of doing something being because it is intrinsically valuable, because it is unarguably valuable for what it is, not instrumentally rational for something else, zweckrational (ends-rational, Humean goal-directed rationality). Weber didn't so much associate this with self-realization and disalienation in creative activity the way Marx did, but Marx's notion has the element of "real freedom" important from Rousseau, Kant and Hegel, where what makes intrinsically valuable activity is obedience to the law one gives to one;self (see the discussion of Smith in the Grundrisse), a less clean notion of intrinsic value than Weber's.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433