[lbo-talk] The sources of suffering (Grow up!) ( Was Re: HarryPotter, Metritocracy, and Reward)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 25 10:58:45 PDT 2007

Always historicize!

"Great Art" is, mostly, a creation of the last couple of centuries. And if we go on creating at the madcap rate of the last century there will be so fucking many Immortal Works cluttering the world that they will become a bore. What do you do when there are three or four hundred epics around of the caliber of Homer, Ovid, Dante, Milton, Pound. You stop reading them at all is what you do and give your attention to something produced in your own locality.

That's my prediction: that national and world literature will disappear and poets, composers, painters will produce only or mostly for those in their own communities.

Arnold tried to reduce radically the number of "really" great poets -- he saw the glut coming. But his ploy didn't succeed. Great works continue to pour out on us.

Carrol