[lbo-talk] The sources of suffering (Grow up!) ( Was Re: HarryPotter, Metritocracy, and Reward)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 25 11:15:01 PDT 2007

On Aug 25, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> That's my prediction: that national and world literature will
> disappear
> and poets, composers, painters will produce only or mostly for
> those in
> their own communities.

Not to sound like a vulgar Marxist or anything, but this is going to happen in a world of instantaneous and near-costless communication? The whole underlying point of the passage in the Manifesto about a world literature is that capitalism had created a world economy, which means a global society. That's more true today than ever.

What is a "community" anyway? We travel, migrate, communicate like crazy.

Doug