[lbo-talk] LiberTeen & twentysomething cult fave Pres.candidate Ron Paul is pro-life

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 15:16:24 PDT 2007

You know, "youthful idealism," etc., is also how conservatives paint the left. And a significant part of the left's strength is in young folks, something to be proud of.

I think Libertarianism's basic appeal to younger people is its anti-tax stance coupled w/ freedom of speech, drug legalization, and supposed anti-war principles.

When you start working "in the real world" (I've pointed out many times how much I hate this phrase: in reality there's nothing *but* "the real world"; no matter what station you are at in life -- college, unemployed, retired, living at home, etc. -- it's all "real") and see the FICA deductions on your paycheck (which employers always love to make bold and clear the way they rarely do other stuff in the workplace, like your right to join a union), you start hating that darned ol' government for robbing you. But you still think drugs should be legal and freedom of speech is good, too -- and the GOP, well, they have too many religious crazies ... so, hello Libertarian Party!

In the 1990s, yeah, the Internet was really dominated by Net-topian libertarian types, it seemed like. That was basically how I was introduced to the Cult of Ayn Rand --- so many of those fuckers were on the web.

-B.

Jordan Hayes wrote:

"Is libertarianism still considered fashionable in the States? Q: When was the Golden Age of Libertarianism? A: About 14"

Andy F wrote:

"A: Between moving out and paying the bills"