[lbo-talk] did Craig commit a crime?

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:54:43 PDT 2007

> It would only disturb others if they are
> sexually insecure and nobody has a way of
> divining that ahead of time.

Call me crazy but I prefer to take my shits in peace. I think most people do. I would be offended and disturbed if any person (male, female, attractive or otherwise) peered into my stall a put his/her hand underneath it. Should such behavior be criminalized? I don't think so, but that's not what we're talking about.

> Should I have every female who has ever
> hit on me arrested for disturbing me?

Again, Craig was being accused of far more than merely "hitting on" the cop. What the appropriate line is is debatable. For me personally (and for most people of all genders and sexual preferences I would assume) I would draw the line somewhere ahead of trying to look at me while I poop.

> There is no crime here, but nobody can say
> it since to do so would to be legitimize
> same-sex relations. If wanting to engage

This is a very interesting question, about which reasonable people can disagree. I take the position that if the legislature calls it a crime, the police call it a crime, the prosecutor calls it a crime, and the courts call it a crime, then it's a crime whether you like it or not. The question of whether the activity in question *should* be crime is a different one.

> in sexual activities with a member of one's
> own sex is valid, then there is nothing
> wrong with what Craig did. Hets cruise
> each other all the time in public spaces
> and I do not see them being arrested no
> matter how flagrant their behavior becomes.

Here I agree with you in part. No doubt homophobia plays a role in the enforcement and prosecution of offenses like Craig's. Moreover, homophobia could make the kind of behavior Craig engaged in perhaps _more_ offensive or _more_ disturbing to many people. That's wrong. *But*, I think most Americans would be offended by the type of behavior described in the Craig arrest report regardless of the gender of the person engaging in such behavior. Rightly or wrongly, we are conditioned to strongly prefer to shit undisturbed. I don't care if it's Bar Rafaeli looking into my stall -- I'm going to be offended and disturbed.

-WD