[lbo-talk] Counterpunch Really Loses It

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Dec 4 09:11:53 PST 2007

Alex Hogan wrote:
> Below is a critique of an article about the anti-war movement written by an editor of Left Turn magazine
by Josh Frank of counterpunch fame . You can read the original here: http://www.leftturn.org/?q=node/976.

It's good to see Left Turn dismissing ANSWER and UFPJ, although I think their criticism of UFPJ is still very tepid. Both "coalitions" are irrelevancies at this point in time, as the anti-war movements have concluded that these organizations are failures.

There are lots of skeletons in the closet of UFPJ that could be brought out into the open by any solid investigative reporter. Ken Silverstein has been publishing recent articles about the SEIU. Perhaps he'll dig up some of the interesting connections between SEIU and UFPJ. I still maintain that UFPJ is an effort by big labor and the Democrats to control and recuperate the anti-war movements. Their strategy of having infrequent mass protests, their fights with ANSWER, and their hostility towards radicals indicates a deeper agenda.

It would also be good to see somebody expose Leslie Cagan and her role in sabotaging the anti-globalization movement in September 2001. I've learned more in recent weeks about the pro-active role she played in preventing the September 2001 anti-globalization protests from happening. The sad thing is that she had help from union organizers and NGO activists. None of these people have been held accountable for their shitty ass actions.

Chuck