[lbo-talk] Chavez loses

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 4 10:30:26 PST 2007

>Charles replied:
> >
> > Chavez and Castro are good baseballers. They know it's important to
> > be a good loser, as well as a good winner.

But haven't you heard that Chavez is also a threat to baseball? This article, written by a minor league pitcher, was in Sporting News after last December's election:

[....]

Most Americans by now are familiar with Chavez. A contemptible enigma in the minds of most Americans, his brand of ideological populism has the potential to have far-reaching consequences. Baseball, in fact, is one entity within his long tentacles' reach, as lately there has been speculation that Chavez may seek to change the rules which govern the signing of Venezuelan players. If Venezuela were to change its rules, there's a chance other countries would follow suit.

Currently, the baseball market for most Latin countries is fairly open, with relaxed regulation. Players may be signed at the ripe young age of 16. This stands in sharp contrast to other foreign countries, such as Japan and Cuba. Japan has a complex posting system, requiring teams to bid for mere negotiating rights, potentially leading to bidding wars such as the recently seen $51.1 million Matsuzaka fiasco. In Cuba, of course, players are by law prohibited from signing with major league teams. These restrictions place severe limits on the number of players signed from these countries, and drives up their price when they are made available.

Though Chavez openly idolizes Cuba's Fidel Castro, it is doubtful that a ban such as he is suggesting is a real possibility. More likely is a move to a more Japanese-esque system, and its fruition would produce vast consequences, as it would turn the baseball world upside down.

Latin players comprise such a large part of the game that any type of restriction would siphon off a significant source of baseball talent, effecting major changes in the game. It would be the baseball equivalent of Venezuela taking their oil off the market, hitting the baseball world like a two-ton meteorite.

In the past, I've talked to several of my Venezuelan teammates about Chavez, trying to gain an understanding of the basis of his popularity. They paint a picture of the country, its historical problems, and the promises that he makes to the populace. He claims to be a man of the people, saying he has the people's interest always in mind.

This appeals to the people, of course, but if he changes the rules regarding baseball in Venezuela, one can only wonder if this is really a decision made in the people's interest. I think about the repercussions.

For the most talented players, the rule change would hardly matter. They would find their way to the United States and make millions regardless.

But what about the young Latin players, the 18-year-olds learning the game in extended spring training, playing in the desert heat of Arizona. What would be the implications for them?

These are the players who would be most affected.

Teams presently are able to sign Latin players at relatively low prices. Plucked from their home countries at a young age, the first couple of years are tough on these players, as they undergo a cultural transformation and try to pick up our language. At times, they miss their homelands and their families, and are probably ready to drop everything and return. Yet, they are taking the first step to realizing the same dream that I have, of playing in the big leagues. Furthermore, simply by being here they have already achieved one dream, the dream of playing in the United States.

Though these players are signed for below market prices and are paid little at the lowest levels of the minors, they nonetheless are still earning money, more than they would probably be earning in their home countries.

In this way, money is spread among a multitude of Latin players while they are young. If the rules were changed, this would cease, as only the best, more developed players would be signed at an advanced age. The money would be concentrated, given to those who would get rich anyway. Yes, the undervalued market would be corrected, but it would hardly be beneficial to the majority. Teams would pull their Venezuelan baseball academies, there would be fewer Latinos in the minor leagues, and young dreams would be hurt. Only a minority would benefit.

Though all this is mere speculation, it's still hard to imagine the sights and sounds of the clubhouse without my Latin teammates. In a perfect world, the arenas of baseball and politics would remain separate. But we hardly live in a perfect world, and politics, sadly, affect our sports. Here's hoping that this political effect will not be achieved.

Garrett Broshuis is a pitcher in the Giants' organization. E-mail him at <mailto:gbroshuis at sportingnews.com>gbroshuis at sportingnews.com.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=157046