[lbo-talk] Dobbs on Democracy Now

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Dec 5 09:13:50 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Blackmail wrote:
> I had to stop listening to Democracy Now because of the awful music!
> Do they
> not have a music director for better bumper clips? Hell, Marketwatch
> on NPR
> has better taste.
>
> [I'm half serious about this. How are you supposed to keep people
> interested
> when the music is so lame. Again, this is not something I ever worry
> about
> on Behind the News, and for that I am grateful, but it's also why I
> only
> listen to it as a podcast.]

Me too (at least I used to when it, BTN, used to download via iTunes) -- that way I can forward over the music on all of them. For one thing, none of them play Bono, you see! ;-)

--ravi

Actually, in the case of NPR, I forward over the voices and give a few seconds to the music -- I can't hold too much against a show that uses Ali Farka Toure as its theme music... which is sort of germane to the elitist aspirations of art ranking: for many are the times that my sophisticated pose (it's relative, you see) has been dismantled by someone who hears a song on my stereo (or looks at some cheap print of Tolouse-Lautrec on the wall) and nods understandingly: isn't MarketWatch a great programme? wasn't Moulin Rouge awesome? There's no winning these things, it seems, for then I have my friend Joanna calling me a yuppie (if I am getting it right ;-)) for liking/knowing Tolouse Lautrec(*) before Moulin Rouge!

(*) I am putting words in her mouth, but Impressionism and its follow- ups were low-brow even before further pedestrianisation in movies, etc... so its a valid criticism, I suppose. Hence the attraction of punk'ish music, modern art, etc? They are, as Fussell might have said (already), class indicators: I like things that the more pragmatic/ realist tendencies of the middle class will never permit them to appropriate (/imitate)! ;-)