[lbo-talk] Dobbs on Democracy Now

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Dec 5 09:48:31 PST 2007

Michael McIntyre wrote:
> I was going to look this up, but Mark beat me to the punch. Amy
> makes <$60K per year with no benefits. Hell, Stone Philips' makeup
> artist probably makes more than that. I haven't seen the Dobbs thing
> yet, and there are certainly some times that this show isn't up to
> par. (The interview with Naomi Wolf was the bottom of the barrel -
> but the only solution there would have been not to invite her). But
> think of the stories she follows like the Maher Arar story (when no
> one else does), throw in having been beaten half to death in East
> Timor, and the grueling round of doing the show day after day while
> simultaneously logging untold travel miles etc. - it all makes the
> woman pretty much a national treasure in my book.

For the amount of hard work that Goodman does and given her value to our movement, I'd say that she is definitely underpaid. Does she ever take a vacation? And she does the show while doing speaking tours.

I say pay her more and give her more vacation time.

As for the music on Democracy Now, I really don't like the activisty stuff. The show does have some good world music, but very little hip hop, punk, or my current favorite, IDM.

Hell, how about some reggaeton, some house music, some heavy metal?

But hey, it's their show and it's pretty damn good.

Chuck