[lbo-talk] Dobbs on Democracy Now

Alfred Landman landmana at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 10:20:26 PST 2007

Not seldom while watching Amy in "action" I sense she somehow would like to do that whole Damnocracy Show Now herself -- one-woman-show. She seems to feed on nothing else in life but "activism". She can come across in a rather wooden, fossiled way. A few years back I noticed her pretty forced smiles in the camera; that, for now, seems to have gone, tho (no reference to her recent facial nerve-disorder!). And yes, that woman seems to have a tremendous amonut of energy and drivenness (blows my mind), which, I guess, you need, to put on a (week)daily performance like DN - not counting all her other "side-gigs". I wish the show, DN, was not a much centered around her; that she would share the anchor-position more often; rotate it more often. And, that could not hurt either, be more aware of her stronger and weaker sides, and play the game accordingly. Like in the Dobb's case: invite some heavy-weight on her show who can handle this CNN-organ(player). Instead he, Mr "Money", put

her (and Juan) in his pocket like small change. I wish 'our' figure-heads on the left were less into all that ego-business (than the prime-timers) - I wish, I wish (well, Xmess approaching fast). That all said, I rather take a boot-half-full than full-empty. So: Go-Amys-Go __

Alfred Landman

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

There's no doubting her tenacity, courage, and dedication. But she's really not all that familiar with issues or institutions - the sort of thing you need to know in political debate. Polemic and muckraking are her thing, as well as an almost pornographic interest in torture and violence. But she has a big staff, so she's not doing everything on her own. Part of the problem is diffusion of attention. I saw her on a panel once where she spent the entire time she wasn't talking on her Blackberry. She doesn't listen to people as she interviews them - she's reading something, or planning the next segment - or, in one case, taking instruction on how to a work a laptop.

Doug

--------------------------------- Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.