[lbo-talk] Sleep-in: direct action in Zimbabwe...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 6 13:43:07 PST 2007

Zimbabwe Standard (Harare)

http://allafrica.com/stories/200712031213.html

SEVENTY workers of Kingstons Limited have vowed to continue with their "sleep-in" until they are awarded enough transport allowance to commute to work every day.

The workers have been sleeping at the company's head office in Harare for the past two weeks because they say on their paltry wages and transport allowances they cannot commute to work every day.

Workers' Committee chairman, Foreman Nyamutukuwa said the workers resolved to continue with the sleep-in.

"We have no choice but to stay here because we don't have money for transport. Our families are complaining because we have been away for too long but we have no choice," he said.

The workers have visited several government offices to seek resolution of the dispute but the company's management "is not too keen" to address the problem, said Nyamutukuwa.

Last week, workers and management representatives went for arbitration at the Ministry of Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare but failed to reach agreement.

"We could not agree because the labour officer, a Mr T Masaisai, was taking sides, not wanting to listen to us," he said.

"Would you have freedom from wage-slavery.." Joe Hill "http://iamawobbly.multiply.com/

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail