[lbo-talk] Ron Paul, ideological cipher

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Thu Dec 6 15:02:40 PST 2007

Ron Paul's Roots by Christopher Hayes

http://www.chrishayes.org/articles/ron-pauls-roots/

[....]

This gets to the paradox at the heart of the Paul campaign: he's the candidate least likely to hedge or obfuscate, the most apt to spell out in sharp detail his underlying principles--and yet he's also something of an ideological cipher, attracting the support of everyone from hipstertarian kids on Northeast college campuses to John Birchers in Texas. "You have this weird group of people," says Lindsey. "You've got libertarians, you've got antiwar types and you've got nationalists and xenophobes. I'm not sure that is leading anywhere. I think he's a sui generis type of guy who's cobbling together some irreconcilable constituencies, many of which are backward-looking rather than forward-looking."

[....]