[lbo-talk] Ron Paul, ideological cipher

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 6 17:55:28 PST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Shane Taylor wrote:

> Ron Paul's Roots
> by Christopher Hayes
>
> http://www.chrishayes.org/articles/ron-pauls-roots/
>
> [....]
>
> This gets to the paradox at the heart of the Paul
> campaign: he's the candidate least likely to hedge or
> obfuscate, the most apt to spell out in sharp detail
> his underlying principles--and yet he's also something
> of an ideological cipher, attracting the support of
> everyone from hipstertarian kids on Northeast college
> campuses to John Birchers in Texas.

It's not Paul's doing, is it? He's pretty clear where he's coming from. But the hipsters either don't hear it or he appeals to their inner libertarian.

It is weird though. Just across Broadway from our apt on 85th St there's a Paul sign in the window - next to a smaller sign reading, "Had enough? Vote Democrat."

Doug