[lbo-talk] Run for the border

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sat Dec 8 21:33:08 PST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Bill Bartlett wrote:

> I've never heard of such a thing as conditional citizenship.
> Conditional residency exists in law I believe, though I'm vague about
> the details. But to the best of my knowledge citizenship is
> non-revokable.

After I read the above response from Bill I went back and gave John's message a closer reading and having done that, I want to clarify my response: Bill is right (AFAIK) re: citizenship. John is right about the Green Card. John calls the GC a "conditional citizenship", which may not be an appropriate term. A GC is a permit for permanent residency, which in itself has undergone changes post 9/11: permanent residents are now required to convert their status to citizenship after a particular number of years. A GC obtained through marriage to a US citizen is a conditional GC (which is what I had thought John had written, after my hasty reading).

--ravi