[lbo-talk] AP: "Suburban sex parties draw complaints"

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:56:11 PST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 9:35 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> [WS:] Because it IS a quality of life issue that right wing trolls exploit
> to their advantage. You and others on this list certainly would certainly
> cry bloody murder if this guy operated a church or a sweatshop in his
> basement instead of a commercial sex parlor.

For me, this raises a really interesting question. Part of me wants to take a purely libertarian approach to these kinds of issues, like the ACLU does: people should be allowed to hold swingers parties (or whatever) regardless of whether it bugs the neighbors with increased traffic, etc. Of course, if one is going to take this position, then it needs to cut the other way: it needs to be applied to churchgoers clogging up the street, anti-abortion protesters shouting at people outside clinics, the Westboro Baptist Church and so forth.

But as attractive as the ACLU position is, another part of me doubts the feasibility of that approach. At some point, one's conception of the good kicks in and we need to say "we're right and they're wrong" -- sex parties are good and church is bad -- and advocate for policies to that effect. (Or, in the alternative, strategically support the libertarian approach until we gain enough political power to legislate our conception of the good).

These are the only two coherent approaches, IMO. Unfortunately, both of them have serious problems. -WD