[lbo-talk] contradiction

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Dec 11 00:11:41 PST 2007

> Plato, to start with. But "the correspondence theory of truth" is
> self-evident and can be denied only by sophists. That is why Plato
> deals with this subject precisely in the dialogue called "The
Sophist."

> Shane Mage

*Show us the quote[s].*

Nowadays there is *no* consensus on the correspondence theory of truth.

"Plato isn't even wrong" [Gerald Edelman]

Self-evidence is incoherent.

I could go on..........

Ian

Well nowadays there's very little consensus about anything in philosophy. But isn't this debate perpetuating a confusion between 'correspondence theory of truth' on the one hand and realism on the other. Personally I regard realism as pretty close to what one might call 'self-evidence' (at least in the sense that the burden of proof lies with the anti-realists). But I don't think that realism requires a 'correspondence theory of truth'. Tahir -------------- next part -------------- All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm