[lbo-talk] Shakespeare

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 11 10:24:29 PST 2007

I'm skeptical of the notion -- put forth by scholars as different as the late Joel Fineman and the prevenient Harold Bloom -- that S. was the inventor of poetic subjectivity or was the first to "portray interiority" -- or even that the Renaissance was.

The Renaissance was largely invented by Burckhardt in the book you quote -- which remains a delightful read but (as you suggest) perhaps says as much about the 19th century as the 15th. The passage you quote is Burckhardt's caricature of the Middle Ages -- the stuff of a million Western Civ textbooks, but unrecognizable to readers of Aquinas or John of Salisbury.

Belief in the Renaissance is necessitated by a certain Whig interpretation of history, but a better evaluation of the period requires thinking about the transition to capitalism (again as you suggest). I think that the Renaissance was principally a colossal loss of nerve (to Burckhardt, "the discovery of the world and of man"), following on to the catastrophic collapse of the medieval mode of production in the 14th century.

Renaissance Humanism was an educational reform, an attempt to build a new man [sic] for a new world, the previous social certainties having given way. Since the recent past (the previous thousand years) was unusable, one had to cast back for the only other available example of human society, classical antiquity. Thus the "Middle Ages" were invented to be put aside, and the previous model celebrated.

Perhaps this is taken up in Grafton's new "What Was History? The Art of History in Early Modern Europe" (CUP 2007), which I haven't seen. --CGE