[lbo-talk] Self-Consciousness (was Re: Shakespeare)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 13:52:11 PST 2007

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would provisionally define having a first person
> POV
> as experiencing the world from a particular, though
> usually moving, vantage point in space and time.
> What
> some people call Geworfenheit. :)

I don't think this is enough. Everything that has any kind of intentionality, taking that to mean "aboutness" without any implication of consciousness, so a thermometer that registered the local temperature has intentionality in this sense -- anyway, everything like that occupies a particular and generally moving spatiotemporal vantage point.

I don't even think it is enough for a first person POV if you add in the requirement that the intentionality be experience, whatever more that requires. Say you it requires what Kant thought experience requires, perceptions of spatially differentiated causally interacted substances that continued over time. (I think dinosaurs had this, at least some of them.) The fact that the perceptions are located somewhere in time and space, that they do not involve a view from nowhere, doesn't seem to me to get at the difference between "I" and "S/he."

That's because nothing about the perceptions having the vantage point requires any self-awareness that there is an I that is having these perceptions, that the perceptions and the vantage point are mine. I don't think I am assimilating the 1st person POV to self consciousness, which is consciousness of myself as a self (among other selves who are likewise consciousness of me and me of them). Here I just mean a sense that there isn't just a bundle of perceptions from a particular view, but that they are someone's -- mine, in particular. I think your account allows first personhood to adhere to a Humean bundle of perceptions even if there is no one there.

Which would be
> everything that experiences anything, except maybe
> God. But I don't think neurons "experience"
> anything,
> no matter how many of them you lump together and no
> matter how cleverly you connect them.

Some people, like John Searle, have this deeply held belief, but I think there is no basis for it. In one sense what you and Searle say has to be wrong. We think and experience in virtue of the activities of out central nervous system (bundles of neurons) and unless you believe in magic there is in a way nothing more to experiencing than the biochemical interactions of our neurons with each other and the world. As I've said, that may not be the most perspicuous way to describe experience for lots of purposes, but it has to be true, given what we know about the way the world works, that experience can be so described. That's so in as sense even if you believe in emergent properties. They are nonetheless properties of neurons.

> I think part of the muddle surrounding these issues
> may be an ambiguity in what is meant by
> "self-conscious." There is a difference between
> reacting to the world (something robots can do),
> being conscious, being conscious of your selfhood

Big jump. I follow Hegel here, distinguishing between being conscious, having experience (of other things) and being self-conscious, conscious that I am a who and who I am. At the same time, I am not sure that there is any difference in kind beyond complexity, flexibility, ability to adapt to novel situations, etc., between us and thermometers. I think that is consistent: we distinguish between grades of intentionality, defined as I did above, some of which is too low level to be conscious, some of which is merely conscious, and some of which (who) is self-conscious.