[lbo-talk] US government to provide direct subsidies to US citizensto buy TV converter boxes

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Dec 12 06:25:21 PST 2007

> [Okay, Batman, riddle me this: In our (faux) free
> market economy, wouldn't the government-mandated
> transition to digital TV be sternly protested against
> by free marketeers?

It's not that hard to understand; getting back the wasted spectrum that analog TV (ab)uses today is worth far more to the government than the $1.5B this will cost. It may be being pitched as "cool new tech" but it's really a sensical reallocation of a scarce, valuable reseource.

Now if only there was some way for the government to mandate resource allocation of another kind, like, say, by raising standards for fuel economy.

Hmmm.

/jordan