[lbo-talk] Principled Criticism was Krugman

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 17 21:45:17 PST 2007

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> So, what do we do with Marx's analysis of surplus value, which begins with
> the question of hoarding and then refers to the figure of the capitalist
> as a 'rational miser'? robert wood

The abstract capitalist in an abstract capitalist system is indeed a rationalist miser -- which neither tells us nor is intended to tell us anything whatever about the psychic architecture of any specific capitalist.

No practicing political collective, incidentally, can tolerate motive mongering on the part of its members in political debate. It is an acid that destroys political unity. I have seen it happen in groups to which I belonged.

Carrol