[lbo-talk] Putin worth "at least $40bn"

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Dec 21 08:10:27 PST 2007

Is there any real substance to this story or is this like the claims that appeared in Forbes Magazine a few years back that Fidel Castro was a billionaire?

Jim F.

-- "Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl> wrote: [...]

The claims over the president's assets surfaced last month when the Russian political expert Stanislav Belkovsky gave an interview to the German newspaper Die Welt. They have since been repeated in the Washington Post and the Moscow Times, with speculation over the fortune appearing on the internet.

Citing sources inside the president's administration, Belkovsky claims that after eight years in power Putin has secretly accumulated more than $40bn (£20bn). The sum would make him Russia's - and Europe's - richest man.

In an interview with the Guardian, Belkovsky repeated his claims that Putin owns vast holdings in three Russian oil and gas companies, concealed behind a "non-transparent network of offshore trusts".

Putin "effectively" controls 37% of the shares of Surgutneftegaz, an oil exploration company and Russia's third biggest oil producer, worth $20bn, he says. He also owns 4.5% of Gazprom, and "at least 75%" of Gunvor, a mysterious Swiss-based oil trader, founded by Gennady Timchenko, a friend of the president's, Belkovsky alleges.

Asked how much Putin was worth, Belkovsky said: "At least $40bn. Maximum we cannot know. I suspect there are some businesses I know nothing about." He added: "It may be more. It may be much more."

[...]

full: http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,2230924,00.html

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam

___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk _____________________________________________________________ Shop &amp; save on all of the office supplies you need. Click now! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3n4JXarcDpyANHO331qtC0LOFKHZYDGHYlkqjAmP2N7VYacF/