[lbo-talk] Popper and Strauss

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Dec 21 13:23:28 PST 2007

Yesterday Karl Popper's Open Society and its Enemies came ups at work. Last night I got through something under fifty pages. He puts Plato first on the list and does a great job of it, detailing out how such view of the world leads to a closed view. Of course Popper's model is what he saw as the scientific revolution---but that is different question...

So, anybody out there ever read this work, any opinions. I can see exactly why Strauss and Voegelin conspired to ruin Popper's potential appointment to the University of Chicago in the mid-50s. He was their intellectual enemy.

However there are some scholarship questions involved S and V accused Popper of a mistaken interpretation of Plato. I don't have enough of a classics background to judge this question. I suspect it's wrong, but I am only left with an intutitive opinion that Popper's take is probably the more accurate.

Anybody out there know different, or whats to follow up these various questions? The importance here is that Popper, provided he is correct, sets up a well established and highly respected Liberal counter argument of much of Strauss's political philosophy.

CG ,