[lbo-talk] Terry Eagleton and the Gospels

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 22 12:42:16 PST 2007

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> On 12/22/07, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Dec 22, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
> >
> > > the straw men he knocked down in that book,
> > > particularly wrt postmodernism
> >
> > Yeah, and there was that whole book on postmodernism in which he - by
> > design! - didn't quote a single text. It was all about an ethos, you
> > see.
> >

> Heh. Say what you want about postmodernists, but we are always quoting
> texts. lol. :)

I haven't read the book, but as Doug describes it, Eagleton was correct not to quote texts, because there are no "postmodern texts" to quote. There are structuralist texts. There are deconstructive texts. There are dialogical texts. There are . . . . texts, but they are all postmodern texts, includding Doug's text, Jeffrey's text, and the text I am writing now. Postmodern describes the ethos (AND the counter-ethos) of the period.

Carrol