[lbo-talk] Terry Eagleton and the Gospels

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 13:23:12 PST 2007

On 12/22/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> > > Yeah, and there was that whole book on postmodernism in which he - by
> > > design! - didn't quote a single text. It was all about an ethos, you
> > > see.
> > >

> > Heh. Say what you want about postmodernists, but we are always quoting
> > texts. lol. :)
>
> I haven't read the book, but as Doug describes it, Eagleton was correct
> not to quote texts, because there are no "postmodern texts" to quote.
> There are structuralist texts. There are deconstructive texts. There are
> dialogical texts. There are . . . . texts, but they are all postmodern
> texts, includding Doug's text, Jeffrey's text, and the text I am writing
> now. Postmodern describes the ethos (AND the counter-ethos) of the
> period.

i haven't read the book, either, so i'll stop with saying that postmodernism as a position and the postmodern as the period (both of which involve a variety of not-always-compatible positionalities) are different things, but that doesn't let one of the hook for pointing to whatever it is one is talking about. if it's an ethos, that's fine, but it helps to talk about specific examples instead of some "thing" floating around in the air. otherwise, it's a little bit like saying the era is an era of terrorism, but we're not going to talk about specific terrorist groups or acts, because they are so diverse, but instead talk about terrorism, which is a coherent, cohesive ethos independently of any specific examples of terrorism or terrorist groups. that doesn't seem very helpful or very intellectually responsible.

personally, i've found kevin hart's _postmodernism_ very good on just this point, and i've used it for teaching.

ymmv.