[lbo-talk] (In)conspicuous consumption?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Dec 22 14:15:40 PST 2007

On Saturday 22 December 2007 16:00:18 Michael McIntyre wrote:
> the Portinari that was
> stolen is the single most identifiable painting by a Brazilian
> artist. Think of it: you now have this work in your possession. The
> pleasure of owning this work cannot come from private contemplation
> alone - you must let it be known to others that you possess it.

Are you sure of that? I wonder whether you may not be underestimating the collecting mania.

Or for that matter, simple desire. There are objects I would give a great deal to possess, even on the understanding that no one else could ever know. Any snippet of music in JS Bach's hand, for example. A little 17th-century Italian pipe organ with split sharps (they're tiny, it would fit in my living room). The manuscript of any Trollope novel. Any painting by Poussin.

And I'm not even a collector at all!