[lbo-talk] (In)conspicuous consumption?

Alan E. DeBakey a.debakey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 20:04:56 PST 2007

"Simple" desire to get your hands, for example, on some hand-written Bach scores?

I don't get it. Do you hope listening to Bach while holding such a thing in your possession would make his music, the music, sound differently? Feel differently?

Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

Are you sure of that? I wonder whether you may not be underestimating the collecting mania.

Or for that matter, simple desire. There are objects I would give a great deal to possess, even on the understanding that no one else could ever know. Any snippet of music in JS Bach's hand, for example. A little 17th-century Italian pipe organ with split sharps (they're tiny, it would fit in my living room). The manuscript of any Trollope novel. Any painting by Poussin.

And I'm not even a collector at all!