[lbo-talk] Pure beautiful scorn

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Dec 22 23:02:16 PST 2007

John Adams wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:
>

>> For succinctness on the topic, I wonder if anyone can beat Kipling:
>>

> Possibly Byron:
>
> Posterity shall ne'er survey
> A nobler grave than this.
> Here lie the bones of Castlereigh;
> Stop, traveller, and piss.
>
> John A

Byron rocks! I was just reading V. Woolf's diary. She writes about Don Juan/Byron: "When he is serious he is sincere: and he can impinge upon any subject he likes. He writes 16 cantos without once flogging his flanks. He had, evidently, the able witty mind of what my father Sir Leslie would have called a thoroughly masculine nature."

"..16 cantos without once flogging his flanks."

Cracked me up. She's pretty great too.

Joanna