[lbo-talk] Pure beautiful scorn

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Dec 25 20:10:47 PST 2007

>John Adams wrote:
>> On Dec 22, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Gar Lipow wrote:
>>

>>> For succinctness on the topic, I wonder if anyone can beat Kipling:
>>>

>> Possibly Byron:
>>
>> Posterity shall ne'er survey
>> A nobler grave than this.
>> Here lie the bones of Castlereigh;
> > Stop, traveller, and piss.

Byron and Shelley are the greatest. But for succinctness in pure beautiful scorn, you can't beat John Gay:

"And the statesman because he's so great

thinks his trade as honest as mine."

(Peachum's opening song in The Beggar's Opera. The "statesman" libelled is Sir Robert Walpole, the notoriously corrupt Whig Prime Minister.) Incidentally, this is the only tune from The Beggars Opera set by Weill in Die Dreigroschenoper, and likewise is sung by Peachum as the first song (after the Moritat) in the opera.

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30