[lbo-talk] European Racism

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 08:37:06 PST 2007

Chris Doss:

In what place in the world is racism not a problem? Europe's probably on the low end of the scale by global standards, as compared to say Africa or India (maybe).

Of course you're right.

But! Sadly, that's completely irrelevant to the point being made.

Younge isn't surprised there's racism in Europe and, I don't think he's claiming the Euro-zone is more racist than other regions. The point is that Euro boosters are marketing a story. The story is that a near flawlessly tolerant and open-minded EU is under siege from Muslim outsiders who bring, we're told, their medieval ways to a thoroughly modern party. 'If only they could be more like us: tolerant and calm', the Euro-boosters cry.

Younge argues that this is shit, through and through. The Europeans are contributing their own set of prejudices which act as a feedback loop, reinforcing whatever bigotries vex Muslim communities in Europe.

Wait...Instead of circle jerking amongst ourselves, let's consider a quote from the source:

<snip>

With few governments collecting data on racial crime victims, it has been left to NGOs to record the sharp rise in attacks on Muslims, those believed to be Muslims and Muslim targets.

None of this means anti-Semitism and jihadism don't exist among Muslim communities in Europe. But it does provide a context for both. Muslims are a relatively tiny percentage of European citizens--there is a higher proportion of Asians in Utah than Muslims in Italy--and are overwhelmingly concentrated among the poor. More than 40 percent of Bangladeshi men in Britain under the age of 25 are unemployed. All of this excuses nothing but explains a great deal. According to a Pew Research Center survey, the principal concerns of Muslims in France, Germany and Spain are unemployment and Islamic extremism. Integrating into a society that won't employ you, educate you or house you adequately is no easy feat. Participating in a political culture that scapegoats you is also tough. Attacked as Muslims at home and abroad, they defend themselves as Muslims. Every respected report in Britain has shown a direct link between the war in Iraq and recruitment to Islamist movements. And so the symbiosis of Islamophobes and Islamists is complete, with each thriving on polarization and prejudice: picking at scabs that might have healed, until the blood runs freely.

[...]

Sounds like good old fashioned, hard headed sense to me.

<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080107/younge>

.d.

-- "Your mistletoe is no match for my TOW missile!"

Robot Santa ...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/