[lbo-talk] Fascism? Re: Chris Hedges on Huckabee

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 24 08:40:04 PST 2007

Hedges makes a quite tenable argument for seeing Huckabee & his followers as a potential 'fascist' movement. Whether correct or not I do not know -- but it _does_ show the foolishness of the indiscriminate use of the label over the past 50 years. Calling the likes of Nixon, Reagan, or the current Bush "fascist" was and is dangerous for two reasons. 1) As I have argued before that usage tends to obscure just how repressive capitalist democracy _at its best_ is. 2) It spoils the term for use in instances where (as in the case of Huckabee) it might be called for.

Carrol