[lbo-talk] Speculation (Iran, US, Russia, Iraq)

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 11:10:28 PST 2007

There are many problems with this outlook.

The NIE report vindicates Russia's whole approach toward Iran

US acceptance of Russia's sending enriched nuclear fuel is well within the law (IAEA).

Drop of violence in Iraq? For how long? The end-game is very clear. The US will leave. When? Who knows, but it will happen under circumstances determined by the Iraqis and not the puppet government or Washington. Moscow is simply waiting and no deal has been made.

Putin told Ahmadinejad the following (I can't prove it, but Russian correspondents told me about what was said during private meetings) that Russia will not tolerate a weapons program and that Tehran REALLY needs to engage the IAEA in a transparent way - the Kremlin will do little to help Tehran.

It is foolish to believe that Putin will help Bush on anything at the moment. What has Washington done for Putin lately? The Kremlin keeps an eye on the score board. The US is bleeding in the Greater Midddle East. The Kremlin is watching. And it is amazed how Washington can't change its ways. On this score, Russia has an amazing learning curve - empire simply costs too much........