[lbo-talk] European Racism

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Dec 24 13:23:34 PST 2007

I'm not in complete disagreement with Carrol's statement. There is probably something uniquely important in posing an opposition to the "ideology of european (white) supremacy." This is related to Europe's role in the production of the current world system. However, it takes a certain level of analytical blindness to argue that "There is ethnic conflict all over, which has nothing to do with racism", which ignores the influence that colonialism has on shaping the ethnic rivalries throughout the world. (I am thinking about the influence of fascism on the Hindu right in India in particular, but there are many other examples.) robert wood