[lbo-talk] Happy Newton's Day!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 25 12:19:10 PST 2007

Happy Newton's Day!

Sir Isaac Newton, discoverer of classical mechanics and optics, co-discoverer of the calculus, alchemist, heretic, Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University (Trinity), leader of the Royal Society, MP from Cambridge, Master of the Mint, born Dec 25, 1642, d 1727:

F = g(m1m2/d2)

(that's the simple version in modern notation of the formula for the law of gravity)

Bear that in mind.

Her pealing organ was my neighbour too; And from my pillow, looking forth by light Of moon or favouring stars, I could behold The antechapel where the statue stood Of Newton with his prism and silent face, The marble index of a mind for ever Voyaging through the strange seas of Thought, alone.

--Wordsworth, the Prelude

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs