[lbo-talk] Benazir Bhutto reportedly assasinated in a suicide bomb attack

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Dec 27 11:14:25 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck, she's not the one worth mourning - I have no feelings about
> her one way or the other. It's the possibility of civil war in
> Pakistan, which could kill and displace a lot of people, and the
> possibility that someone could get his hands on their nukes. Don't
> you care about that?

I really don't care one whit about her either, I'm just expressing my honest opinion that the death of any state leader is always a positive development for the human species.

A civil war could happen in Pakistan regardless of Bhutto being dead or being elected to office. We're not in any position to prognosticate what will transpire in Pakistan, although I would warn people here not to get sucked into this racist analysis that assumes that Pakistanis will riot and have a civil war at the drop of hat (or assassination).

I'm familiar with some of the criticism of Bhutto by progressives. Let's not parrot the Washington line that Bhutto was some kind of bulwark for democracy and against Islamic extremism.

Chuck