[lbo-talk] Benazir Bhutto reportedly assasinated in a suicide bomb attack

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Fri Dec 28 15:39:28 PST 2007

At 05:33 PM 12/28/2007, Michael Smith wrote:

>Canute-like, I am going to suggest that we return to a subject
>which more people in the world care about than our weight: namely,
>who blew up the late Ms Bhutto, and why, and what do we think
>is likely to result?

sure. you just want to get that pool going. butt srsly, thanks for the belly laughs. great stuff to read at work today. I about died laughing when I read john and miles exchange book titles ideas for the craigslist gag.

had to laugh at work today. First, K asked me if I'd heard about Pakistan. I was holding Tariq Ali's London Review of Books doorstop about Pakistan's political history and Bhutto's role as 'daughter of the U.S' which i'd just printed out to read at lunch. I said sure and his eyes bugged out. Then I said Benazir Bhutto's name and pointed to the article. His eyes bugged out some more. He was dumbfounded that an American paid attention. Which is pretty sad.

The team that sits behind me started talking about it, though they were unfamiliar with Bhutto's name. They were talking about a claim in a Yahoo news article that Bhutto wasn't really assassinated since she wasn't killed by the bombs or the bullets. What made me laugh is that, all day, this was a topic of conversation. Instead of digging deeper into what is going on, everything stopped at the absurdity of this claim that it wasn't really assassination.

Reminded me of the Heinlein character's (Lazarus Long) maxim: There are three ways to lie. Tell a lie outright. Tell only part of the truth. Tell the truth so badly, everyone starts debating whether its a lie or not. It's an effective form of propaganda, innit? No one's paying attention to what is going on right under their nose, instead they are distracted by details and debates over whether there's a cover up or a lie or if the truth was told and if so how much.

btw, shouldn't she be called bhutto -- or at least bhut (like mush). personally, i'm fond of perv. *rolls eyes* or is there some custom i'm unaware of?

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)