[lbo-talk] Creeping Fascism

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Sat Dec 29 10:50:30 PST 2007

At 01:33 PM 12/29/2007, John Adams wrote:

>Let me paint with a broad brush: Nerd types love classification
>schemes--consider the Geek Code--and simplistic explanations of social
>phenomena. Why do you find it surprising they accept Meyers-Briggs?
>Especially when they get to interpret the results.
>
> John A

heh. that makes sense. and shouldn't have been surprising. and really, i don't think this applies only to geeks, upon further thought. look at how women in the US especially are raised on magazine quizzes: "what type of lover are you?" "Six types of eaters. Which one are you?" "Find out your work style in just 10 questions."

oh hell, look at the utter popularity of those crazy quizzes people take and post on their blogs. it's a way of telling the world who you are in 10 easy quiz questions. (I think someone wrote a book about this magazine quiz phenom and US culture once....)

and for that matter, *I* studied white collar unemployment and met with these same people agonizing over how to outsmart it for a whole year. That is, i sat with them every monday where, every so often, Meyers Briggs came up. Did *I* go out and look into it some more? Nope. I was with them: get through the fucker and get a job.

http://pulpculture.org/blog/ -- now with 100% SFW!