[lbo-talk] Creeping Fascism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Dec 29 12:15:19 PST 2007

John Adams wrote:

> Let me paint with a broad brush: Nerd types love classification
> schemes--consider the Geek Code--and simplistic explanations of social
> phenomena. Why do you find it surprising they accept Meyers-Briggs?
> Especially when they get to interpret the results.
>
> John A

Not just nerds; classification of people into psychological types is a quintessentially American obsession. If we know the "inner essence" of

people's personalities, then we can understand why they act the way they do. Moreover, this personality typing gives us a simple way of explaining social conditions in terms of individual qualities (e.g., the ever popular "X are poor because they're lazy" trope). The fact that this is a painfully obvious example of the nominal fallacy is irrelevant, as is the huge pile of data we have on how social factors shape individual behavior and thought. The belief that individual behavior must be the result of a person's personality is integral to capitalist social relations in our society, so--logic and evidence be damned!

Miles