[lbo-talk] Vista

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 05:15:38 PST 2007

Bitch:

would this make it impossible for her to run both word processor and browser w/o running out of memory -- as she claims in the article?

Right now, the only honest answer is: maybe. However, my gut and own experience with Vista -- from beta to release -- tells me yes.

The full implications and effects of the DRM subsystem are not yet known. We are receiving all sorts of anecdotal reports of absurd performance bottlenecks, such as the browser/ word processor issue she faced.

Of course, some of these may be caused by users opting to use Vista at its highest graphics rendering capability when their machines can't support that, but as Gutman points out the "content protection" measures exact a deep cost (both financial and performance related) which is still being determined.

It simply isn't possible to use software as a gatekeeper of electron flow (i.e. "premium content" aka RIAA and MPAA balkanized entertainment product) -- without incident or performance impact -- as Microsoft claims to have achieved.

Hollywood appears pleased but as for the rest of us...

.d.