[lbo-talk] Vista

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 1 11:43:25 PST 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> otherwise scorned by the left-wing dinosaurs as "yuppies"

Fuck it W, haven't you read any of my posts on the working class? And I am by no means alone on this point. Who the fuck do you mean by "left-wing dinosaurs"?

How many times have you seen the marxists on this list use the term "yuppie"? I've even protested against sneers at SUV drivers.

Carrol

[WS:] Sorry for overposting, but I cannot let this accusation stand unanswered.

I did not mean you Carrol, so please do not take it personally. I recall previous exchanges on this forum in which other LBO-sters spoke quite derisively about "yuppies" and chastised me for not sharing that view. I will refrain from finger pointing because that will only bring flame and also because I am too lazy to search for those exchanges in the archives.

What I mean by "left wing dinosaurs" is those who share the old fashioned populist belief that views blue collar workers and the poor in general as the avant-garde of the anti-capitalist movement. In reality, the IT workers and hackers are such an avant-garde, even if they do not quite know it yet, for the same reason that industrial workers were the avant-garde in the 19th century - they literally held the most advanced means of productions of the time in their hands. Today blue collar are more of the rear-guard, ineffectively fighting for protectionist measures that would shield their declining position in the labor market.

Wojtek