[lbo-talk] private property and mortgages

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 1 19:51:15 PST 2007

> Who here on LBO envisions a commie society where we own nothing,
>where our cars and stereos and clothes are collective property we
>kind of rent or something?

I most certainly do. The Pythagoreans believed that "friends should have all things in common." The ideal of a communist society is that all people, without exception, relate to each other as friends. Nobody now alive (at least since the death of Abbe Pierre) is able ever to function in such a society. But a communist society, as the culmination of conscious human evolution, would continue for as many centuries as human beings continue their species existence as social individuals. For that long (after a century or two) it would subsist as a society of Pythagorean friends.

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30