[lbo-talk] New Klinenberg book on media concentration

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 2 20:41:00 PST 2007

Auguste Blanqui wrote:

> Has anyone read it? <http://www.freepress.net/news/20256> I seem to
> recall Doug and others questioning the concentration = bad hypothesis
> a few months back, and I myself generally find such analysis
> simplistic. But Klinenberg's first book, Heat Wave, was quite
> phenomenal, and I have been looking forward to this one for some
> time...

Interesting. One problem: even when the _description_ of current media is persuasive, the historical argument is weak because there is _no_ historical argument: that is, such critiques seldom try to offer any concrete and well-grounded account of (implied) "better days" before concentration. At a minimum, I would like to see such a study take seriously Upton Sinclair's _Brass Check_.

Carrol