[lbo-talk] 'I hate Macs'

Greg Boozell gboozell at juno.com
Mon Feb 5 08:20:17 PST 2007

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <cgrimes at rawbw.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 9:56 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] 'I hate Macs'

> "Hello, I'm a Mac," says Webb.
>
> "And I'm a PC," adds Mitchell....
>

> ...I don't know how far Mac pro line (and its software) have developed,
> but they must be close to pro production video editing in real time at a
> color/resolution level sufficient to create short ads for tv. Looking
> around the web, briefly it looks like Final Cut Studio does exactly
> this kind of thing.

Apple's Final Cut Pro (Mac only) and Adobe's Premiere Pro (Windows only)are both very popular but the industry standard for video editing is Avid which supports both platforms.

Having used them all, I've found there are only shades of difference between the products although Avid is better suited for big-budget feature films. They were also the first to market with the major studios so typically they're more willing to upgrade an Avid then to completely change apps.

Same is true for Adobe After Effects. It now only runs on PC's but over the years has been so broadly adopted (and works so well) that there is resistance to risk a move to a competing product, even the competing product is reputed to work as well or better.

Greg gbooozell at juno.com