[lbo-talk] 'I hate Macs'

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Tue Feb 6 04:01:49 PST 2007

On 2/5/07, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> The first page layout program I ever tried to
> use was Xerox, Ventura Publisher. It came with graphic interface that
> had to be installed first.

I remember that. Ventura ran under GEM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_Environment_Manager

For awhile I worked in a shop that used Ventura as well as the first incarnation of PageMaker for Windows, and that would have been Windows v1 to begin with, later v2, both unbelievably primitive. At the time, IIRC, the GEM/Ventura combination worked better, but GEM, of course, never caught on.

Aside from all that, I gotta ask: why didn't you simply buy a Mac? Same update juggernaut of course, but since the graphics industry is dominated by Apple, if you want work there you have to bite the Cupertino bullet, no?

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam