[lbo-talk] 'I hate Macs'

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Tue Feb 6 04:18:03 PST 2007

At 11:14 AM 2/5/2007, you wrote:

>All the while the smug Mac boys were tooling along with their
>graphics. But the underlying truth was my Mac buddies in graphic
>design were making less than I was in wheelchair repair. Ah, and the
>gatekeepers ... were hyperactive in the
>graphics industry. If you didn't show a portfolio done on a Mac, you
>were fucking dead meat wasting oh so precious time of the hard core HR
>bitch in trendy black, about twenty-five, pierced belly button that
>showed with tattoos running up her leg---a recent graduate of the SF
>Academy of Art in Graphic Design, kiss my ass honey. You couldn't draw
>your way out of paper bag.

i think that's pretty much gone away outside of the major design city centers. I alluded to this the other day in an interview. No one, yet, has asked about whether I work in Mac or Windows. If it's a Mac shop, so far: no biggie. The difference between the two is negligible and the dominant tools are the same and no one seems concerned that I can't do the work on a mac. (I haven't used macs since i was in college when we had them in our computer lab.) Now, I agree that it hasn't gone away in upper echelon design houses, but I couldn't get work there anyway since I don't have a degree in design or anything remotely related. Indeed, I wouldn't even call myself a designer: i have no formal training, only a decent eye and self-study and I'm def. not as good as someone who has formal training. at any rate, if i can help it, i'm not sticking with design: the pay is the suckage.

http://blog.pulpculture.org