[lbo-talk] even SC Republicans believe global warming is a

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 6 12:31:19 PST 2007

James Heartfield wrote:
> "even SC Republicans believe global warming is a
> problem", writes Doug, adding
>
> [well, there's still James Heartfield!]
>
> to which I say, I would rather not change my mind because the Republican
> Party says I should.
>
> Conceding that my scepticism is not widely shared, would listers not accept
> that the US government's ginger steps towards action on Global Warming, and
> Prime Minister Blair's more strident ones are a convenient diplomatic
> distraction from their more practical problems in Iraq.
>
> James Heartfield
Certainly holding an opinion just because it is endorsed by members of the Repugs would be an error but it still boggles my mind how anyone could possibly be skeptical of anthropomorphic climate change. It's like imagining cigarettes might not really cause cancer.

I wish the US steps towards correcting our current trajectory were something other than climatologically meaningless but I partially share your opinion in this matter. I think they are intended to delay meaningful action more than distract from Iraq however. It would take a huge movement in environmental policy to really distract one's attention from Iraq. Gingerly strides are quickly forgotten.

John Thornton