[lbo-talk] language query

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 6 14:14:15 PST 2007

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> On 2/6/07, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Or. Your father tells you "If you love me, you will become an engineer."
> > You have no interest in engineering but you love your father.
> >
> > The victims of the double bind are often children too young to be able
> > to parse what is happening.
> >
> > Joanna
> >

> Why didn't I just state it simply and clearly!
>
> Well thank you Joanna for clearing up the deep fog of my thought. Too
> much philosophy and not enough good poetry creates deep tangles in my
> mind.

Indeed, Joanna's reply is both powerful and clear. BUT there's still another step to take: try to relate her examples to Russell's paradox.

The problem for the confused is that Russell's paradox (and the whole history of logic in which it fits) is _one_ realm, Joanna's examples are another realm. Carl claimed, Bateson claimed, you claimed that the Cretan liar's paradox illuminates the existential actualities Joanna describes. I am not convinced that that _connection_ between logic and actuality has been made in plain old american that cats and dogs can read.

Carrol