[lbo-talk] language query

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 19:08:57 PST 2007

On 2/6/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> The problem for the confused is that Russell's paradox (and the whole
> history of logic in which it fits) is _one_ realm, Joanna's examples are
> another realm. Carl claimed, Bateson claimed, you claimed that the
> Cretan liar's paradox illuminates the existential actualities Joanna
> describes. I am not convinced that that _connection_ between logic and
> actuality has been made in plain old american that cats and dogs can
> read.
>
> Carrol

Well yes, as Bateson was fond of saying, "The Map is not the Territory", borrowing from Alfred Korzybski, I believe. Sometimes the map is not even a good guide to the territory.

There are no good maps of human experience, the Zen master would say, and in order to understand how a logical paradox can become a double bind, you actually have to imagine your way into it or experience it. Again a good part of art is giving us human experiences, though a bit removed from actual lived experience.

I find here more evidence for my usual rant about the limitation of theories. Theories rarely if ever, actually produce intrinsic knowledge. The same here for rational argument.

Jerry