[lbo-talk] Chomsky disappoints

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 02:35:41 PST 2007

Exactly.

Noam Chomsky is 78. There are videos of him taking on right wing pundits from the 1960s on YouTube, on TV. He's first and foremost a human being -- and most humans would have retired at least a decade before the Chomsker keeps trudging out nowadays to do the speaking circuit.

Give the old man a break, for fuck's sake. We are lucky he is even alive. Murray Bookchin passed recently, and he was much younger than Chomsky. Chomsky is a living national treasure. Seriously. He's America's living Bertrand Russell. If he gets winded or feels "lazy" at a conference, so be it. He's still alive, at least, for God's sake. His death will be a huge loss for humanity. Let him have his less-than-stellar moments in his old age at certain appearances, for Christ's sake.

-B.

Colin Brace wrote:

http://mondoweiss.observer.com/2007/02/a-sour-chomsky-shows-disrespect-to-a-young-paying-audience.html

> A Sour Chomsky Shows Disrespect to a Young, Paying
Audience
> \
>
> As it was, the event seemed faintly squalid. The
mind at the end of
> the day, in its nightclothes, wandering around a
house. It was so
> casual as to be insulting to us, all the folks who
had paid to hear
> him. And I heard a lot of grumbling as I went out on
to Broadway.