[lbo-talk] Jobs: dump DRM

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 7 09:15:25 PST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 11:10 AM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> What the letter really does, in typical Jobsian
> fashion, is frame the debate. It does this in two
> respects. First, it sets up a choice between two
> alternatives: stay the course, or get rid of DRM
> entirely. Second, it points the finger at the major
> record companies as the ones making the choice.
>
> This is both a clever PR move and a proactive defense
> against European antitrust scrutiny.

Jobs is the Einstein of marketing, isn't he?

But do you suppose this new stance has anything to do with the DRM monstrosities inside Vista? Both a technical nightmare and a threat to multiplatform media formats?

I thought it was very interesting that Jobs says that about 3% of the material on the world's iPods is from the iTunes store; in my case, it's about 8%. I don't recall him mentioning this, but he must know that a lot of the other 97% doesn't come from people encoding their own CDs.

Doug